Top 10 albums of 2012


To be clear from the off, I've put this together to invite comparisons. So gladly let me know if I've got it wrong for the last 12 months, and certainly let me know what gems I might have missed out on. (or even if you agree). There's no numbering, as picking 10 was hard enough.

 Anyway, it's a mixed bag and there are albums I've loved that I had to leave out, but this was the final list. How long can you procastinate for? I've gotta get on with 2013.


TWO GALLANTS- THE BLOOM AND THE BLIGHT



"Something ain't quite right with me/ I can't seem to let you leave" Adam Stephens yells, scaring his way into my Top 10 list. After five quiet years, TG return with their unique batch of abased tales, threaded around debased thoughts. Bleeding-heart truth, smashing riffs and a touch of cowboy psychosity made this album my favourite from the duo.


PURITY RING- SHRINES



I have no idea how to write about this album, but I know it needs to be here. It must be something about the not-so thinly veiled darkness of lyrics like "cut open my sternum and pull my little ribs around you", harped along to music so sweet it's almost ornamental. I haven't listened to music in this vein for so long but I'm happy I bumped into Purity Ring.


CEREMONY- ZOO




"Pack your fists full of hate" this ain't. In 2012, Ceremony split fans down the middle like never before, dropping the 19 year old I-hate-the-world violence, and picking up with a much more classic punk sound, by way of doomy-surf. I've seen them three times this year, and if the new sound still deters you, I'd guess you haven't heard how well it mixes live.



TITLE FIGHT- FLORAL GREEN


This was a massively anticipated release this year, so when the first release 'Head In The Ceiling Fan' grazed along with a punchy shoegaze pace, It was that classic "They've changed, I prefer the EP(s)" moment for a lot of people. Surrounded by tracks like 'Make You Cry' and 'Leaf' though, it doesn't exactly make for a hard pill to swallow.


FRANK OCEAN- CHANNEL ORANGE



RnB is a touchy one in 2012. Odd Future members; even touchier. To be honest, I'm happy not touching either for the majority. But Channel ORANGE is pop music the way I want to hear it. Bags of soul and far from over-produced. Massive points for referencing Majin Buu in the same song that features Andre 3000, too.


DEFTONES- KOI NO YOKAN



Come on, it's Deftones. You either love them, or don't know them. The Nu-Metal band who were never a gimmick; who managed to stay relevant while the rest gathered dust and became "remember them?" bands. Deftones are constantly evolving, and Koi No Yokan is distinctly Deftones, yet all together something they've never done before. Roll on, February tour.

DINOSAUR JR- I BET ON SKY



With a music video featuring Tim Heidecker, this album was never going to struggle to get my attention. The strength of this record is how it in no way sounds like it was written by a band with the best part of 30 years behind them. 'Watch The Corners' and 'See It On Your Side' have the bona-fide youth of three 18 year olds writing their first record.



FRUSTRATION- DYING BREED




I have surprised myself with the lack of hardcore on this list, considering the genre makes up 90% of the bands I've seen live this year. For me, Dying Breed has mown down this years mosh-hardcore opposition with ease. There are licks of Broken Teeth, and it shares a storm cloud with Brutality Will Prevail, but with a distinct Irish bombast that holds it's own against the rest. A personal moment spent with this album was while listening in motorway traffic, and realising the family in the car next to me had been watching me punch my steering wheel and singing along throughout 'Sixth Circle'. It'll do that to you.


GRIMES- VISIONS



Ever since seeing Claire Boucher, hotdog in hand, jump around a dusty American football stadium in the video to 'Oblivion', (and then re-watching that video around 40 times) Grimes has stuck with me ever since. From said track's unavoidable infection, right through to the purifying 'Skin', this has probably been my most played album of the year.

BASEMENT- COLOURMEINKINDNESS


This was the easiest choice on the list. It's been a bittersweet year indeed for Basement fans. Our first play of the album was preceded with the news they were calling it a day and playing their final shows in November. I'm glad to be able to say I was one of the lucky people packed into one of Basement's final two shows this year, an experience that compliments this album massively. Whirs of grunge ebb and flow around Andrew Fisher's open heart lyricism, whose self-condemnation made for the biggest love-in mosh pit of the year in Leeds. "I tell lies/ if i didn't you'd be horrified". Many hopeful fingers are crossed for a return, but for now cheers for this year, Basement.



Comments