Interview: Pulling Pulse, Leeds

In and amongst the 20 or so gigs I've been to so far in 2012, there has been some of my all time favourites (Ceremony @ Manc Moho dragged me out of mosh retirement, while at Full Of Hell @ Packhorse Leeds, four American lads at least 4 years younger than me reminded me power violence can be genuinely threatening), but out of the blur of the many bands, venues and beers there have been two words that have stood out; Pulling Pulse, a Leeds DIY promoter whose shows are currently sitting somewhere at the top of my Best of 2012 list.


Through checking out the gigs Pulling Pulse have been putting on, I've ended up discovering some of my now favourite live bands including Holy, Bear Trap, Witch Cult and Full Of Hell. Not to mention some personal favourites mixed in like Closure (RIP), Grazes and Black Mass. The reason these shows stood out for me personally, and no doubt to everyone else that attended, was the variety on offer. I wanted to put a spotlight on Pulling Pulse, so here is an interview with the man behind it, Ed Coleman. It offers a great insight into being a DIY promoter and I recommend keeping an eye out for future shows and even record releases.  



Give us a quick insight into who you are and what you're up to at the moment?

Gig wise I've gone a bit quiet at the moment. I have an awesome show booked for September that will be announced soon, nothing else is booked in at the moment. I may do a show before then but right now I really don't know. I plan to mainly work over the Summer as I'm trying to save money for various things. There are plenty of promoters putting on awesome shows, I'm personally looking forward to seeing Graf Orlock, Integrity, Loma Pretia, SUNN 0))), Code Orange Kids and Cruel Hand this Summer. 


What do you look for when choosing the bands?
With headliners I pretty much only book bands I listen to. When choosing support bands I generally stick to the same rule. I try be fair and help out bands who are on tour or bands who really want to support a certain band. I hate turning down bands for support slots but its impossible to please everyone. I'd never book any Metalcore, Deathcore, Mosh Hardcore bands I guess. I have a very broad and extensive music taste and there is a whole world of music I enjoy listening to outside of Pulling Pulse.




What is different about Pulling Pulse to other gig promoters out there?

That's a weird question... I'd like to say we are different because I put on shows due to a pure passion for music but there are so many people out there who do it for the same reason.





What inspires and motivates you?

Anyone who puts on shows for the right reasons inspires me. I know people who have careers in putting on festivals and arena shows but are still in it for love of music. They started small (smaller than me in some cases) and earned their way for all the right reasons. I also know people who put on DIY shows and work their ass off 40 hours a week on minimum wage, who just do it because it's what they enjoy. Deadlines motivate me, I'm great at leaving stuff 'til the last minute but at the same time I'm ALWAYS over prepared!





I'm sure booking bands and promoting gigs has a lot of trial and error involved; Would you say you're where you want to be or is there a long way to go yet?

I learn something new every time I put on a show, you can never stop learning and improving yourself. There are always going to be problems, it's how you deal with them that matters.



Is this something you want to do full time and expand on, or is it a hobby or pastime for you?



Yes and No! As ridiculous as it may sound, I'd like to own a practise room/gig venue/cafe/record store/bar/studio space for all things DIY. This would mean I could do whatever I feel like and not get bored. So to answer your question yes I'd love to do this full time while doing a million other things all at once!



How do you judge whether or not your night has been a success?



If the bands play, people turn up and everyone is happy its a success really. I haven't had a nightmare situation (yet) and I'm usually very prepared for stuff going wrong (fingers crossed). I've lost money putting on shows before but that definitely doesn't mean it hasn't been a success.




Best and worst moments/ experiences for Pulling Pulse?.. (be it leading up to a gig/ during the gig/ the aftermath maybe?)

Best moment was the Pettybone show I put on in April. All the bands were incredible. Loads of people came down, I met some lovely people and all the bands told me they had an awesome night. Worst moment has to be putting on a show while having the flu, that sucked. You can't call in sick when putting on a show.



What advice would you give to anyone looking to start promoting gigs?

DO IT! Do some research and just make sure you're prepared, communication is key. Make sure you know exactly whats going on with the band and equipment (bring spares, cables are always handy!). Make sure you know if bands need accommodation and/or rider. There are a million things that could go wrong but 99% of the time preparation and good communication between bands and/or booking agents is the key! Also promote your shows as best you can. I could talk about this forever... if anyone reading this has any questions or needs any help putting on a show email me, I'd love to help.

What's next for Pulling Pulse? For example would you ever go for an all dayer event?


At the moment I'm trying to get the record label side of things going with a 7" co-release with a few other DIY labels but that's all in very early stages at the moment. I like the idea of all dayers but in theory they don't always work so great. If I was to do something like that I'd probably go for a 2 day event starting at 3-4pm each day with 8-10 bands on each day and yes this is something I've been thinking about for when the time is right.



Anyone turning up to hardcore/punk etc gigs are very fortunate at the moment to have some outstanding promoters getting it all together and creating unforgettable days with bands we know and new ones we'll love forever. Pulling Pulse is just one great example of the tons of DIY promoters up and down the country who put their time, sweat and money into these shows. If it's something you've been thinking about starting, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get some further hints and tips from Ed. Or if you want to get in touch for any other reason, you can reach him with pullingpulse@gmail.com, and in the mean time check out the Facebook page and the official website http://pullingpulse.com/


All photos were taken at Pulling Pulse shows, check out Explainlater's ever increasing gallery of awesome live shots. The others that aren't marked were taken by Samuel Huddleston of Bears Killing Bears

Join Basement Brain on Facebook and Twitter
 
 
 

Comments